The Level 4 Award in the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice will be valuable to ensure that staff assessing non-NVQ or non-competence-based vocational qualifications within the QCF are supported and monitored.
Each assessor’s work must be checked and confirmed by an internal verifier who is also a member of the staff of the assessment centre. The criteria for appointing internal verifiers are also closely monitored. The internal verifier checks and standardises assessment decisions made by the assessors in the centre.
Level 4 Award in Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice
All internal verifiers will have sufficient experience of having conducted assessments of the specific national occupational standards they are verifying or in an appropriate and related occupational area.
Sufficient occupational competence is defined as:
- Having been an assessor for the standards being assessed, or for a set of standards in a related occupational area, for a minimum of one year within the last two years
AND having demonstrated updating within the last year involving at least two of the following activities:
- Attending Awarding Body verification training courses;
- Studying for learning and development units;
- Study related to job role;
- Collaborative working with Awarding Bodies;
- Qualifications development work;
- Other appropriate occupational activity as agreed with the external verifier.
All internal verifiers will have direct responsibility and quality control of assessments of the occupational standards or the quality assurance of the assessment process within an assessment centre which has been approved by an Awarding Body.
All internal verifiers will have a sound working knowledge of assessment and verification principles as defined in the national standards for internal quality assurance (V1) and the particular internal verification requirements.
This qualification is reliant on the candidate working within a centre whereby assessors can be supported to ensure that the evidence can be obtained for the award/certificate.